Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

> But for true automation applications, what
> wire can be pulled?  My impression was
> that hardwired systems are all fantastically
> expensive and available only to dealers /
> installers.

That's a wrong impression.  There are a number of reasonably priced hard-wired and RF options which would give far better service
than X10 with nowhere near the hassles and failures.  Almost anything, even Crestron (which is definitely *not* for the feint of
heart or light of wallet) can be purchased for DIY.

Several systems require running CAT5 cable and 110VAC to light switch locations.  Others, like CentraLite, substitute an HA-enabled
distribution panel for the usual breaker box.  These use CAT5 only to the light switches.  Obviously, CentraLite and others like it
(Vantage, for example) are less suited for retrofit because every controlled circuit needs to be home run to the box.  But systems
like ALS (supported by OnQ, HAI and a few others) can be retrofit.  Zwave, regardless of bad press from Mr. Houston who once has
never even seen it, is an interesting option.  It requires no new wires, works well and is supported by scores of major
manufacturers.  UPB is not quite there yet but it's worth considering.

After much consideration, I've decided to add Z-wave to my online store.  Product data should be available shortly.  I'll also add
UPB and a few other things soon after.  I have no intention at this time of offering Insteon, primarily due to complaints about
Insteon and poor quality of other products from the same manufacturer.  As one DIY client put it, I don't want to do their field
testing for them.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass