Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

G. Morgan wrote:

> Once again Frank, I'll have to side with Porkie..  It's a violation of
> the NEC to put high voltage and low-voltage in the same j-box.

And once again, you'd be wrong.  NEC clearly states you must maintain a
physical seperation between the two so you can't accidentally apply high
voltage to the low voltage wiring and that's about it.  The relay bases
on the smoke alarms are frequently used to fire off low voltage
appliances like buzzers, strobes and bells.  If you look at any of the
connection diagrams supplied with the Firex unit (for example), how
*are* you going to accomplish what you want to do if you can't at some
time have the 110VAC and the low voltage in the same box?  Now go back
and play in the sandbox and let me take care of the Toilet Duck.