Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>Any relay smoke alarm can be connected to a home
>>security system...
>

> That is patently untrue.  When you connect smoke detectors or any other
> type of fire detectors to an alarm control panel the system becomes a
> fire alarm system and must comply with code requirements for a fire
> alarm.  There is no exception for a "home security system."

Please provide chapter and verse in NFPA to back up your claim.

>>It's not *recommended* by most smoke alarm manufacturers...
>

> It's prohibited by code unless the part is specifically "listed for the
> purpose" by the manufacturer.  We've had this discussion before.  Mr.
> Olson claims I've never given code references to illustrate the point.
> However, he conveniently forgets the following passage which I posted
> in an earlier discussion.
>
> "NFPA72  FUNDAMENTALS OF FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS 72-21
> 1-5 Fundamentals.
> 1-5.1 Common System Fundamentals.
> 1-5.1.2 Equipment.  Equipment constructed and installed in conformity
> with
> this code shall be listed for the purpose for which it is used."
>
> "1-5.3 Compatibility. All fire detection devices that receive their
> power
> from the initiating device circuit or signaling line circuit of a fire
> alarm
> control unit shall be listed for use with the control unit."

A four wire smoke alarm *DOES NOT* receive it's "power from the
initiating device circuit or signalling line circuit of a fire alarm
control unit".  It therefore does not require "listing" with a specific
control unit.  Its listing doesn't mention connection to a listed
control unit but has to do with "single and multiple station smoke
detectors".  There is *NO* code, statute, or authority that would
prohibit a homeowner from connecting their 110AC smoke alarms to their
home security system.  Furthermore, no AHJ would care one way or another
(with the exception of maintaining the physical seperation between the
AC and the DC which DOES happen to be a code issue).

> In the prior discussion, Mr. Olson also offered the following advice
> which clearly violated code:
>

>>I would suggest pulling four conductor 18 gauge
>>wire to the same electrical box your builder's
>>electrician will use to wire the smokes.

Where does this "violate code", Robert??

>>I've asked Robert to post the specific wording that supports his
>>argument many times...
>

> See above.  The answer was given quite some time ago but Mr. Olson
> insists it wasn't given.

It wasn't.  The answer is always couched in specific wording involving a
"fire alarm system".  A resi-burg panel is *not* a listed fire alarm
system unless, of course, you *install* it as such.

> The reader may wish to note that the comments
> by Mr. Olson in this forum are usually based on personal animus rather
> than anything factual or experiential.

"Personal animus" has nothing to do with this discussion.  I personally
think you should have stayed out of it.  You don't work with listed fire
alarm systems.  I do.