Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

John J wrote:

> I believe that at least one vendor (BRK) sells AC smokes with a UL listed
> relay for interconnection to a security panel.

Any relay smoke alarm can be connected to a home security system.  It's
not *recommended* by most smoke alarm manufacturers (for reasons I've
already given and I posted a link to FIREX unit earlier in which similar
phrasing is used).  Many of those same manufacturers include diagrams on
the correct procedure to follow in their installation manuals.

There's nothing in NEC or NFPA that specifically prohibits this type of
connection either.  We're not talking about a listed fire alarm panel
here, but a home security system.  To follow through on this
arguement...  If you wanted to obtain UL/ULC certification of your home
security system you would require *supervised* fire detectors and a
whole lot more in the way of wiring and devices.  There are very few
residential installations that are certified so unless your insurer has
specifically requested it, you needn't worry.  Typically there are many
devices connected to a home security system that aren't specifically
UL/ULC listed.  Bass is (as usual) spouting utter nonsense.  For over a
year he's been "pushing" the ELK panel which only recently received it's
"UL" listing.  Unlike him, I purchased one for my own use but didn't
start selling them until *after* they were listed.

I've asked Robert to post the specific wording that supports his
argument many times.  He keeps falling back on the phrase "fire alarm
system".  I'm tired of having to correct this same mistake but as long
as he continues to spout such nonsense, I don't have a choice (and the
Cessna 150 is *not* a taildragger).