Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> > "USB Only" is obviously a much higher priority requirement
> > for the OP than most replies have acknowledged.
>
> Yep.
>
> > If there's anything that's typical about Usenet in this thread, it's
that
> > a lot of answers that fall under the heading: "not *exactly* what that
> > user wanted."  If my mate's read of Speed is right, we can be sure,
> > if nothing else, that RS knows *exactly* what he wants.
>
> Yep |-)
>
> > That's probably pretty clear by now, anyway.
>
> Dunno, only you appear to have noticed.

That's probably because I am dumb and can't address the technical issues as
well as others.  That leaves me more time to re-read the project specs.  It
also frees me from thinking along the lines of traditional solutions to the
problem, which in this case, seem mostly to be serial port-based.

> >> On one of my older machines we had need of eight serial
> >> ports for a bunch of terminals and various other I/O devices.

<stuff snipped>

> > This sort of approach is fraught with peril, as the cliche goes.
>
> Yep.
>
> > You are limited to what PC can talk to your net (got have
> > a special board installed), gotta learn another OS (Theos
> > or some other proprietary OS).  A machine failure is a crisis.
>
> Yep.
>
> > Rod obviously wants something he can maintain easily.
>
> Yep.
>
> > Anything that requires a special board in a PC means "maintenance
> > issues" and I've supported enough of them to know.
>
> Yep.
>
> > USB-based means he can plug it into a laptop, a Mac, a PDA
> > and lots of other things and *hopefully* run his sensor net without
> > having to crack open a machine or buy cards or adapters.
>
> And use the laptop which doesnt have any serial
> ports at all for convenient debugging etc too.
>
> And the PVR doesnt have any free PCI slots, basically because
> its got 4 digital TV capture cards and a lan card and a decent dual
> head video card because I use that to play the captured video on.
>
> I might well decide to do the logging and control on
> that PC since its got plenty of spare cpu resources
> when when capturing digital TV 4 channels at once
> and playing one too. Basically because that will be
> on the UPS and nothing else really needs to be.

Yep. (-:

--
Bobby G.