Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

Dave Houston <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> The Elektor schematic I found shows it to be self-powered.
> Is that correct?

Powered from the USB, yes.

> It appears to use the same Maxim drivers linked
> in the DS9490R datasheet. Is this an HID driver?

Not clear to me what a HID driver is. It definitely uses java.

> If so, maybe Jan Axelson's page on VB & HID drivers will help.

>     http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm

Thanks for that.

> Why don't you like serial for this?

Basically because I dont have enough serial ports available,
the only one available is used for the X10 controller,
and USB/serial converters are too much of a kludge.

> I see no advantage to USB given that it takes
> 3/4 second to get a reading from a 1-wire device.

Sure, its not a speed thing.

> Is the 18B20 faster than other 1-wire devices?

Dont think so.

> It seems to me that off-loading this from the PC to a serial PIC that
> can report readings from multiple sensors is the best way to go.

Dunno, I basically have a number of temps that dont need to
be polled that often, every few minutes is fine, and want to
use those to control the X10 stuff, particularly with temp
control etc controlling a portable fan heater that I sit in front
of and other stuff like the heater for the beer brewing.

And other temp sensors that only need to be polled hourly at
most for more basic alarm stuff like the freezer has failed etc.

And some basic logging of temps in the house, hourly would be fine.

Serial is just a bit dinosaury if I can just have the string
of 1820s on a USB/1-wire converter/adapter with at
most say providing 5V to the 1820s on one of the
spare wires instead of parasitic power for the 1820s.

Nice clean simple design.