Re: Z-WAVE question (Go Insteon!!)

Frank,

I believe the better method might have been Insteon!

I am biased, as I sell Insteon...

I believe that when you change a switch's state, that information is
broadcast across the Insteon network.

As such the Elk M1 will be able to hear this, and react - as programmed,
etc.

I've asked Elk to help me write a set of rules, for their M1 control, to
take advantage of this very communication. Here is what I have in mind:

===================
An Insteon (on/off) switch is installed on a bathroom fan...

You're leaving the room...

Let's say you press the fan's on once. It is locally connected to the
load, so the fan'll come on. Nothing special.

The signal IS sent across the Insteon network that this switch is now in
the ON position...

M1 hears it, and sets a counter...

Now say you were to press ON a second time within 5 seconds...

I want the M1 to adjust it's counter, and say "Five minutes"...

Press again, within the allowed period and it ups the timer and
announces "10..."

Again: "20", "30", "45", "60", "Normal"

If at any time OFF is pressed, the fan goes off... The whole process is
reset...

So if it's just a little stinky, 5 or 10 minutes oughta do it...
Take a steamy shower, and maybe you want an hour...

When the time period expires, the M1 will send an OFF command to the
fan's switch.
====================

This would not be possible without Insteon's network communications.

Note: At this time whenever an Insteon switch is dimmed locally, that
status is not communicated. On and Off are, however.

As an early adopter of Insteon I know I'll have to wait for some new
products to do everything I'll want, but these things are coming. Some
very soon. I expect half a dozen new Insteon products in the next six
months, the first will probably arrive in three...

And unlike X10 the more Insteon devices you have, the better the
network. Every device acts as a repeater.

I hope this helps!

Jack
:)

Note:

Insteon offers a switch which has it's own built-in timer already. The
above is just an example of how Insteon's communication could be used.