Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:08:56 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <4alddoFti0t6U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Dave Houston <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

>> Why don't you like serial for this?
>
>Basically because I dont have enough serial ports available,
>the only one available is used for the X10 controller,
>and USB/serial converters are too much of a kludge.

Peter Anderson's USB Versions of the IOM #135E and IOM #136 Modules
http://www.phanderson.com/iom13x_usb.html
use the FT232BM USB - RS232 adaptor.

That solves the "I don't have enough serial ports available" (non)problem.

And if the FT232BM is "too much of a kludge", thar's lotsa of kludges out
thar because this chip is in very widespread use.

The schematic for this comes with the board. The RS-232 version I have is a
Olimex PIC-P40-D board with 4.7k series resistors on the data lines and the
MAX232 RX and TX connected to pins 25 and 26  of the PIC16C774
Schematic here:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/pic-p40b-sch.gif

Here's the schematic for the USB version:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/pic-p40-usb-sch.gif

>> It seems to me that off-loading this from the PC to a serial PIC that
>> can report readings from multiple sensors is the best way to go.

>Dunno, I basically have a number of temps that dont need to
>be polled that often, every few minutes is fine, and want to
>use those to control the X10 stuff, particularly with temp
>control etc controlling a portable fan heater that I sit in front
>of and other stuff like the heater for the beer brewing.

What Dave suggests is exactly what Peter Anderson has implemented. As I
wrote before, rod.speed.aaa@xxxxxxxxx ( and sock puppet "Jim P Sharma"
<jps@xxxxxxxxxx>) don't seem to want to solve the (non)problem. I understand
his needs and problems better now. The tenor of the responses is indeed
consistent with sitting in close proximity to a refrigerator and
beer-brewing equipment.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org