Frustration with X10 Powermid

I've had X10 Powermids for IR remote control extenions for years, and
I'm about fed up.
I think its well known that they are very sensitive to their
environment, and easily transmit spurious output. The LED on my
transmitter varries from showing a very dim pulsating background
signal, to an almost continuous bright solid. In the former case it
still can function normally with most but not all devices.  I can
usually get rid of the solid bright by some repositioning, but the dim
pulsating occurs even with no receiver plugged in.

Is there some substitute that is rock solid?