Re: Frustration with X10 Powermid

km@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've had X10 Powermids for IR remote control
> extenions for years, and I'm about fed up.
>
> Is there some substitute that is rock solid?

If you can run wires or have existing coax between locations then you
can use Xantech parts to build a IR repeater system. The advantage to
this will be that your existing remote(s) will work the way they are
supposed to with the Powermids. Depending on the system the cost starts
at around $70.

If you have to go wireless there are some One For All remotes that send
RF from the remote to a receiver where it is output as IR. The URC-9910
is one such unit:

www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%209910

This is a very popular item (read that as out of stock) and is likely
your least expensive option. If you look around they can be found. Using
a JP-1 cable they can be programmed to handle almost anything. The
advantage of doing this that you can replace a table full of remotes
with a single INEXPENSIVE unit. The downside is that it can take a bit
of work and learning to get the remote to work the way you want it to
work. I use a Xantech IR repeater system with IR only URC-7800 remotes
and everybody in the house is happy.

Some high end remotes offer RF extenders. Here are some links:

www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=1049
www.universalremote.com/urc/mrf100/main.html

Here are some good links for IR remote info:

www.xantech.com
www.remotecentral.com
www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/