Re: X10 still around?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:10:21 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg" <Waynelund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <NpBXe.58862$qY1.11943@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Thank you Marc, will cut and paste your reply in a save file for later
>digestion and action. For sure, I must do some planning what with all the
>darned automation stuff already in place... Mr. Coffee, sprinkler system
>with three stations, burglar alarm and sensors, fire alarm and sensor,
>furnace control, doorbell, motion sensors outside...

I'm in a not dissimilar situation. The ELK M1 is looking more and more
attractive.

The Napco fire-security system I have has frustrating limitations in the
response time for 'lighting vectors' that the ELK may not have. And the software
interface has limitations that I won't discuss but Are also in the way of
'progress'. Most of the work of installing a security system is in the wiring
and sensors. At $400 or so, the M1 is very attractive and the Napco parts have
residual value on eBay.

Importantly, there is new software out there that supports the Elk that I think
I like. Question is how much time do I have to fool with it and can I find
someone to take responsibility other than myself. The company that did the
security at our house for 20 years sent out a kid last time we had a lightning
event who did a messy job, didn't fix the problem and charged an arm and a leg
for me to show him what to do. Completely different experience than when the
owner himself did the work.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org