Re: X10 still around?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:10:21 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg" <Waynelund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <NpBXe.58862$qY1.11943@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>PS - Interesting responses to my question on top posting... I remember the
>old days with that 24 line thing and 300 baud rate which made it possible to
>read the whole note as it was coming in. Then ending at the bottom where you
>could reply without further ado. Good old CompuServe!

Ah yes, ..12648348@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bottom posting has been the established, even written norm in usenet since at
least NNTP and the Great Renaming c. 1987

It was the *only* way to post when I started using multics continuum circa 1978
(I wonder if RF Dude can grog "sequential file" ? He may think it has something
to do with scroll mice ;-).

I remember an episode involving a Very August Person in our institution who was
told that he could review the deliberations of our technical committee by
spooling the continuum and adding to it. He started downloading from home with a
TI Silent 7xx from the beginning of the continuum, used up the whole roll of
thermal paper and never did get to the end where he could add his two cents.

When he came to the face-to-face meeting, he held one end and threw the roll
across the room and across other participants like a roll of toilet paper. He
was frosted ...

So "bottom posting" has not been to everyone's liking since the get-go.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org