Re: X10 still around?

<Waynelund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<74kXe.56081$qY1.42679@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >I take it that top posting is acceptable in this newsgroup?
> >What I missed (miss) with the X-10 system is feedback such as IR or other
> >sensors. Having played a bit with the Basic Stamp, I can see where the
'home
> >automation' art could go, and looking through a few sites from people in
> >this group, I see a huge leap in technology and I am overwhelmed. Time to
go
> >back to kindergarten. Your site looks like a good place to start. Thanks!
> >
> >Wayne
> >

> Top-posting and X-10 deserve each other ..;-)
>
> If you are considering a minor foray or re-entry into X-10 (it's cheap and
can
> work fine for some needs), consider starting by developing a schematic
diagram
> of your house wiring.
>
> In so far as possible, put all X-10 devices and the interface (CM11a,
TW523 etc)
> on one 110VAC leg and devices that may reduce the signal ("signal suckers"
such
> switching computer power supplies) or noise on the other 110VAC leg.
>
> This does two things: 1) obviates the need for a coupler and attendant
problems
> and 2) minimizes failures owing to reduced signal strength and noise.
>
> Then, as need arises, choose from one of the alternatives to X-10 based in
part
> on consideration of the home automation _software_ you select. None that I
know
> of supports all the emerging technologies at this time.
>
> (Basic stamps are neat. The new "industrial" version with expanded
temperature
> range opens up a whole new area of environmental monitoring. Buy them
here:
> http://www.phanderson.com/basicx/index.html )
>

> HTH ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hult
> www.ECOntrol.org

Thank you Marc, will cut and paste your reply in a save file for later
digestion and action. For sure, I must do some planning what with all the
darned automation stuff already in place... Mr. Coffee, sprinkler system
with three stations, burglar alarm and sensors, fire alarm and sensor,
furnace control, doorbell, motion sensors outside...

Wayne

PS - Interesting responses to my question on top posting... I remember the
old days with that 24 line thing and 300 baud rate which made it possible to
read the whole note as it was coming in. Then ending at the bottom where you
could reply without further ado. Good old CompuServe!