Re: X10 still around?

>> Thank you Marc, will cut and paste your reply in a
>> save file for later digestion and action. For sure, I
>> must do some planning what with all the darned
>> automation stuff already in place... Mr. Coffee,
>> sprinkler system with three stations, burglar alarm
>> and sensors, fire alarm and sensor, furnace control,
>> doorbell, motion sensors outside...
>
> I'm in a not dissimilar situation. The ELK M1 is looking
> more and more attractive.

Give me a call when you have time if you like.  I'll get you the
M1 if you haven't already sourced it.

> The Napco fire-security system I have has frustrating limitations
> in the response time for 'lighting vectors' that the ELK may not
> have.  And the software interface has limitations that I won't
> discuss but Are also in the way of 'progress'.  Most of the work
> of installing a security system is in the wiring and sensors.  At
> $400 or so, the M1 is very attractive and the Napco parts have
> residual value on eBay.

I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of newbies I'll
mention it.  All of your existing hard-wired sensors are
compatible with the ELK M1 Gold system.

> Importantly, there is new software out there that supports
> the Elk that I think I like.  Question is how much time do I
> have to fool with it and can I find someone to take responsibility
> other than myself.

I believe Dean Roddey mentioned that CQC now supports the ELK M1
Gold.  I'm sure he'll chime in on this.

> The company that did the security at our house for 20
> years sent out a kid last time we had a lightning event
> who did a messy job, didn't fix the problem and charged
> an arm and a leg for me to show him what to do. Completely
> different experience than when the owner himself did the work.

I'm surprised.  I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression
that you had done your own installation.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms