Re: Looking at how to use the DS10A with other devices

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:08:58 -0700, Jack Edin wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> Great minds think alike!
>
> I was pondering the battery situation when I drove to Radio Shack for
> the battery holder(s). Toying with the idea of putting 2 pairs in
> parallel - to extend the service life, etc.
>
> Especially when the unit's ID changes whenever the batteries are changed.
>
> Making it necessary to reprogram the software listening for the DS10A's
> messages.

Not necessarily.  If you change the batteries when they're just
"Low" and not too far gone to keep the unit operating, the DS10A will
retain the same ID for some indefinite period of time - certainly
long enough for you to exchange the old batteries for new ones.
(If you press the "Test" button with the batteries removed, the
old ID will be immediately erased.)

Too bad Misterhouse doesn't report the 'Low Battery' condition.
If you want to try hacking the source code, this condition is
indicated by bit 1 set in the status byte (where bit 8 is the
Closed/Opened status and bit 3 is the Min/Max status).

Regards,
Charles Sullivan