Re: Looking at how to use the DS10A with other devices

Hmmm...

Great minds think alike!

I was pondering the battery situation when I drove to Radio Shack for
the battery holder(s). Toying with the idea of putting 2 pairs in
parallel - to extend the service life, etc.

Especially when the unit's ID changes whenever the batteries are changed.

Making it necessary to reprogram the software listening for the DS10A's
messages.

No, as far as I know Mister House discards the battery info.

I'm now a Mister House nut. I got the thing to, for now, play the AOL
.wav "You've Got Mail" whenever the switch is opened. Here is the code:

  # Window/Door sensor items

  if ($state = state_now $Mailbox_sensor) {
    $state = "open"   if ($state =~ /^alert/i);
    $state = "closed" if ($state =~ /^normal/i);
    print_log "Mailbox's door is now $state";

    if ($state eq "open"){play(`file` => "GOTMAIL.wav")}
  }

And my items.mht file:

Format = A
#
# See mh/lib/read_table_A.pl  for definition of Format=A items
#

#
# Type    Address     Name            Groups           Other      Info

X10I,     M8,         Office_light,   Office,          CM11,      LM465

X10A,     E8,         Halogen_light,  Bedroom,         CM11
X10MS,    M8,         Office_Motion,  Office,          MS13A
RF,       8C,         Mailbox_sensor, Sensors,         Security
<SNIP>

The .wav file is in the normal sounds directory.

Hope this helps...

As for passing the battery info within Mister House...

It's something that, now that we know it's missing, will hopefully get
added by somebody... eventually.

Jack
:)