Re: X10 still around?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:34:46 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<RaOdnSFgAOJE9LLeRVn-2w@xxxxxxx>:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:51:10 GMT, Marc F Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<8v2si15jbjkunvlbpem78a4m29cl1p68is@xxxxxxx>:

>> -- Do the lighting controllers (dimmers) buzz? Cause filaments to
>> buzz?
>>
>> -- How much RF noise to they put in the environment? (compare CE
>>requirements with near-absent US)

Eliminating buzzing from powerline and RF noise is primarily a matter of
good design and especially the performance of the choke. X10 brand is
particularly poor in this regard but most all wall-mounted dimmers are
limited by the volume available in a conventionally-sized switch box.

Hence centrally located dimmers with big toroidal inductors are the norm
in commercial and especially entertainment facilities where quiet and
reliability are paramount.

I have an X-10 WS467 wall dimmer that controls outdoor lighting from
inside my family/listening room. When dimmed, I hear a distinct buzz
through my inefficient speakers (Magneplanars) and otherwise clean,
modern Adcom pre- and power amps. That 467 needs to be ripped out but
it's easy enough to include it the serious listening 'scene' and turn it
off entirely along with the stream pump and HVAC.

RF emission regulations for dimmers are weak in US compared to EU. The
use of centrally located, DIN-mount X-10 dimmers in Europe is apparently
due in part to their much more stringent standards and the greater ease
of designing quiet dimmers when space is adequate. We'll be needing more
of that on this side of the pond as the cacophony from RF devices in the
home increases.

Random-phase triac switching is by far the prevalent technology for
dimming of home lighting here in US, but there are other designs, such
as reverse phase with Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBT) that are
reported to make less noise.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org