Re: X10 still around?

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

<stuff snipped>

> Once the reliability/communication issue is resolved (which it was 100.00%
for
> some lighting installations decades ago) other questions are more readily
> recognized as important:
>
> -- Do the lighting controllers (dimmers) buzz? Cause filaments to buzz?
>
> -- How much RF noise to they put in the environment? (compare CE
requirements
> with near-absent US)
>
> -- Do they contribute to "wall acne" (plethora of wall plates and gizmos)
?

Perhaps the biggest issue with HA, as far as SWMBO is concerned.  Adding
filters to X-10 modules has pretty much been the last straw in terms of
"wall wart creep."  The next incarnation of HA in our house will have to be
far more invisible than it is now.

> -- Can your visiting Aunt figger out how to turn the lights on in the
bathroom?

Another very important issue if you regularly have house guests.  Lots of HA
setups fail this test.  Sometimes I think that HA is just another hobby like
maintaining a salt-water fish tank.  You really have to enjoy fussing with a
lot of different things to get it to work correctly.

> -- What is their efficiency ?

An interesting question.  I wonder if HA really contributes to lowering the
national energy consumption in any significant way?  Most of the existing HA
technologies have a pretty serious "standby" current consumption that has to
be considered.  In the next iteration of HA, I am going to try to lower the
standby power consumption at least 50%.  If Zigbee arrives it time, it could
be a big help since its design addresses standby power consumption.

> -- Will the new technology add to, or subtract from, the value of your
home?