Re: X10 still around?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:34:46 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<RaOdnSFgAOJE9LLeRVn-2w@xxxxxxx>:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:51:10 GMT, Marc F Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<8v2si15jbjkunvlbpem78a4m29cl1p68is@xxxxxxx>:

>> -- Do they contribute to "wall acne" (plethora of wall plates and
gizmos)
>?
>
>Perhaps the biggest issue with HA, as far as SWMBO is concerned.
>Adding filters to X-10 modules has pretty much been the last straw in
>terms of "wall wart creep."  The next incarnation of HA in our house
>will have to be far more invisible than it is now.

Agreed.  This isn't just an x10 issue. Among other gizmos, it is also
all those Class 2 transformers. In a different article in this
newsgroup, I used the example of the need for three wart-warts to supply
a drapery control. Even when you do as designed, the %#& things will
switch positions if there is a line glitch or power outage, so along
with the wall warts, a battery and yet more wires are needed
(non-standard). Not appreciated in my household. One part of the
solution (for me) is distributed DC power.

And it not just AC stuff.

It's also

dimmers,
sound distribution controls,
speakers,
intercoms,
LCD panels,
fan controls,
thermostats,
security controls
cameras,
occupancy sensors,
smoke detectors
other environmental sensors
and so on

that adds to the acne. In some homes, that may add to a desired
Hometoys/Jetstone look, but not in ours.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org