Re: X10 still around?

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:RaOdnSFgAOJE9LLeRVn-2w@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> An interesting question.  I wonder if HA really contributes to lowering
> the
> national energy consumption in any significant way?  Most of the existing
> HA
> technologies have a pretty serious "standby" current consumption that has
> be considered.  In the next iteration of HA, I am going to try to lower
> the
> standby power consumption at least 50%.  If Zigbee arrives it time, it
> could
> be a big help since its design addresses standby power consumption.
>
>> -- Will the new technology add to, or subtract from, the value of your
> home?
>
> From what everyone seems to say here, it's neutral, at best.  It's
> probably
> very safe to say that no one but the original Capt. Nemo is going to enjoy
> his Nautilus quite like he will.

If you are just doing lighting perhaps the benefits aren't that large over
just light switches, I dunno. But for me, I'm using CQC to control lighting
but all full control over the home theater. A system that no one but I could
operate now becomes pretty trivial to operate, so it's definitely a benefit
there. And I get weather data in so forcast data is always there on the
touch screen. And I can browse my media to select music, and so forth.

So these days HA goes way beyond controlling lights. That means that if it's
done bad it's probably far worse than when it just controlled lights. But,
if done well, it can be extremely powerful and really make a difference in
the ease of operations of the home and entertainment bits and pieces.

Lookie y'all, I bottom posted. My parents are so proud...

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com