Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

>> Oh and now it's the "security through obscurity"
>> excuse?  Even more pathetic!
>
> Perhaps not.  Imagine for a moment that the manufacturer
> *did* provide you with the protocols.  What would you
> do with them??  Design your own keypad, perhaps??  Have the system "talk"
> to your computer (in real time)??  What about sending "packets" to the
> system in return??  Perhaps design a unit that will "flood" the control or
> lock it up??  How easy would it be for someone to enter a premise and
> connect such a device to the keybus within the standard entry delay of say
> 30 seconds??

Aside from the fact that one enters a *premises* the idea of someone doing
all that to defeat your home alarm / HA system is ludicrous.  That said,
anyone with the skill to build such a device could easily obtain the
necessary information without reading the manuals.  Besides, the manuals in
question don't even include keypad communication protocols.

> Not a "big deal" if it's *your* home, right?

> ELK's M1Gold is a rock solid security system...

Hmm.  Do you now claim to have installed one?  You're not an ELK dealer.  I
agree it's a great system but you should limit your proclamations to systems
you've worked on.

> Feel free to continue the "security through
> obscurity" rant all you wish. You don't work
> in the industry and Robert's primary market
> (even when he did) was residential...

True, but I've also sold more commercial fire and security alarm systems
than most dealers in my region.

> Robert now "caters" to a small group of people...

Not so small a group as you might like to think.  :^)

> I have no "agenda"...

Uh-huh.

--

Regards,