Re: wifi security alarm system

> You can send ASCII strings without the need
> for the M1XEP.  The standard RS-232 serial
> port (that's already part of the basic panel)
> will handle this.

I suggest you read the gentleman's question.  I quoted it below for your
benefit:

"I'm interested in hearing what else can you do with the M1XEP interfce.
For example, could you send UDP packets (like the ASCII data used to other
interfaces) when certain events happen or are you restricted to email/other
protocols? What are the DO components which can use the M1XEP?  You can use
the ethernet port for programming the M1 correct?"

The M1 does include a built-in RS232 serial port, expandable to 8 ports.
However, the gentleman is interested in learning what things he can do over
his network and/or the Internet.

>>> Then I can handle it from there. It would be
>>> similar to the commands which would be sent
>>> down a serial line, it's just that they would be
>>> bundled up in a UDP packet for some application
>>> to recieve. Instead of being sent to a specific
>>> serial port on the M1, it would be sent to an ip
>>> address and a port.
>>
>> TTBOMK this is doable.  Elk is good about talking to end users, even
>> potential ones.  Here's their tech number: 800-797-9355.
>
> Why not simply give him your dealer code and password??

ELK will give him his own password if he asks.  Any posts he makes to ELK's
forum will be listed as his -- not mine.

>> Hmm.  You might also like to know that Elk also
>> makes a structured wiring box which supports
>> standard modules from several major players plus
>> the M1 controller and accessories.
>
> Kewl.  Haven't seen one of those.  Is it anything like DSC's??

Have you seen DSC's product yet?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass