Re: wifi security alarm system

news:WZqdnSpZMMHUgErfRVn-rg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> I'd like to write something which can interface
>> with my phone system (running asterisk).
>> Basically if I could get the M1 to send a packet
>> of data according to a rule that would be ideal.
>
> I checked with ELK on this and it they indicate you can send ASCII strings
> via the M1XEP based on rules.

You can send ASCII strings without the need for the M1XEP.  The standard
RS-232 serial port (that's already part of the basic panel) will handle
this.

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/ELK-M1_RS232_PROTOCOL.pdf

>> Then I can handle it from there. It would be
>> similar to the commands which would be sent
>> down a serial line, it's just that they would be
>> bundled up in a UDP packet for some application
>> to recieve. Instead of being sent to a specific
>> serial port on the M1, it would be sent to an ip
>> address and a port.
>
> TTBOMK this is doable.  Elk is good about talking to end users, even
> potential ones.  Here's their tech number: 800-797-9355.

Why not simply give him your dealer code and password??

>>> The Ethernet port can be used to program the
>>> M1.  Open the RP software and select network
>>> as the connection mode.
>>
>> Cool. That is good to know.. When I get an M1, I'll
>> surely get this adapter.. I need to get some structued
>> wiring in the house first though.
>
> Hmm.  You might also like to know that Elk also makes a structured wiring
> box which supports standard modules from several major players plus the M1
> controller and accessories.

Kewl.  Haven't seen one of those.  Is it anything like DSC's??