Re: Stargate Vs other home controllers?

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:58:13 -0400, "Brett Griffin"
<bret.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<vN2dnbviBNpW1VbfRVn-qw@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I would highly recommend the HAI product line.  The pricing is competitve
>with he JDS, but HAI has a longer and more reliable record.  HAi has more
>connectivity partners, and more interface devices such as touchscreens,
>web,  Media center, smartphone etc...  The stuff that makes the system
>round out a little nicer.

Stargate has analog inputs and (last I knew) the HAI line (Omni etc)
doesn't.

So the output of continuously variable ("analog") sensors for light,
humidity, temperature, moisture, etc sensors cannot be added directly to
the Omni. The work around is a limited choice of  higher-priced,
proprietary sensors or an additional controller that does have analog
inputs connected via (eg) RS-232

With units like the Omni with digital (on or off; 0 or 5vdc; etc) the
burden of translating the analog signals into a yes-no trigger
("threshold") lies with the external component.

The ability to input and make calculations on analog value is one of the
characteristics that makes programming of HA computers/controllers
complicated.  HA controllers with analog inputs are intrinsically much more
powerful than digital-input-only controllers in my opinion -- all else
equal.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult