Re: Simple home automation setup

I agree.  I think this is an ideal job for a Sundowner and a mini timer.
IIRC, they both have more signal strength than CM11A-based controllers and
both are more reliable because they are simpler.

The Sundowner will track daylight (and full eclipses!) without having to
implement macros or any kind of control program.  The minitimer would shut
the lights off late at night, as the OP requested, (which the Sundowner
wouldn't) and could even turn them off within a randomized time window with
their "security mode." The stronger signal and lack of need for AHP or some
other program with this method means it's likely to be very reliable.  The
minitimers have battery backups, too.

If he wanted to expand to motion sensing, that could be easily accomplished
with Eagle Eyes and a TM751 RF transceiver.  In a house without a repeater
or coupler, CM11As are getting to be more and more problematic.

--
Bobby G.