Re: ActiveEye motion detectors falsing

"random735" <random735@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> well the activeeye is designated as an outdoor sensor, for whatever
> that is worth coming from x10,

I think all that means is that it's gasketed and the battery cover screws
down.  I don't recall any discussions or claims of an improved PIR.

> but you make some excellent points.  I will try swapping first.
> I had moved the sensor around to try to avoid having it looking
> at any trees/shrubs etc, and given that my falsing
> only occurs during the day, I suspect it's got to be somehow light or
> temperature related, as opposed to animals or trees which will also
> false it at night, or even a bad detector, but it's definitely worth
> trying.

I only have two EagleEyes.  One is between the screen door and the front
door at the top of the frame and the other is above the basement stairwell.
IIRC, every other location falsed like crazy all day long.

Your pattern could easily be squirrels or birds because they're not active
at night.  I wouldn't rule out trees because during the day they're
reflecting sunlight and causing bright shadow patterns that don't occur at
night.  My X-10 PIR saw moving tree shadows on the lawn as motion and falsed
like crazy on windy, sunny days at almost every time except noon when the
shadows were the shortest.  It falsed far less on still and overcast days.

When I first hooked up the cameras to activate with the PIR, I realized how
big a problem squirrels and birds really were.  A better PIR would ignore
those targets, but X-10's pick them right up.

> the hardwired powerflash suggestion definitely sounds like the way to
> go for reliability, but probably pricier/more complicated than i'm
> really interested in getting into.

I hear you.  I think that after you've spent enough time relocating them and
chasing false activations you'll change your mind.  I know I did!

--
Bobby G.