Re: ActiveEye motion detectors falsing

"random735" <random735@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1123249580.542610.166850@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I have 4 activeeye motion detectors...all are set to detect motion at
> all times.  3 of them are inside and have never given me a false motion
> detection, but the 1 that is outside on my porch seems to false
> semi-regularly between 11am and 4pm or so... I suspect this has to do
> with temperature, that once the temp gets above a certain threshold,
> the detector becomes susceptible to falsing in the heat/humidity..  (it
> gets to 80-90 degrees during that time).
>
> Does anyone else have any experience with this problem or have any
> suggested solutions?  I've heard of detectors losing their sensitivity
> in heat because they can't distinguish warm bodies from the ambient
> temperature, but this seems to be the opposite problem.
>
> Thanks.

Have you tried "swapping" sensors??  You may have one that's become unstable
for reasons other than the immediate environment (ie. a bad detector).

You are correct in that PIR's tend to become less sensitive as the ambient
temperature increases and the Piro element becomes "flooded" with IR.  What
is the motion sensor "looking at"??  Trees and shrubs that may move in the
wind on a hot night may offer enough of a temperature delta to create a
false.  What about animals/birds?  Have you checked that insects/spiders
haven't found their way inside the detector?  If you're placing a sensor
designed for indoor applications "outside", then I can pretty well guarantee
that you're going to have problems.  It may be time to look at an
alternative method of detection.