Re: Power Cycle

On 3/26/2021 9:26 AM, RTS wrote:
> On 3/26/2021 8:46 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 3/25/2021 11:33 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>>

>>> Hey COOOL ! I've thought about doing something like that for my
>>> office equipment but just never got around to it. But now that I know
>>> what I can use to do it - - - - - I just may = = =
>>> NAH ! I'll just continue to think about it and never do it.
>>> But anyway - - - - as an aside. I don't know if you have ever
>>> experienced this or not or if you did have a problem  - - - - you
>>> didn't realize what the cause was.
>>>
>>> Years ago I had a customer with a barn and half a dozen or so horses,
>>> a few goats a mule and a couple of donkeys. Lots of rabbits, ducks,
>>> chickens and all kinds of animals. This guy was a prominent and very
>>> successful dentist. But = = = =  the animals belonged to his wife.
>>> She was some kind of weird about having animals around her. Along
>>> with a lot of cats who climbed up on everything, she actually had a
>>> huge pig living in the house with it's own room, a couch and a TV.
>>> Damn thing wasn't house broken either and she'd run around cleaning
>>> up pig shit and piss all day.
>>>
>>> One day I'm working in the house all by my self (except for the pig)
>>> and I hear the lady of the house talking down stairs. So, I come down
>>> stairs looking to greet my customer and there's no one in the house.
>>> So I think maybe the kids came home and left right away. I go back up
>>> stairs and in a little while I hear her talking down stairs again, I
>>> come down and nothing. So I go back upstairs and wait by the balcony.
>>> Then I spotted the F&^ing grey African parrots in a cage over in the
>>> corner of the living room having a conversation. Man - - - -  they
>>> sounded just like her talking.
>>>

>>> Anyway, they had me put a fire alarm in the barn with heat and smoke
>>> detectors. By the way, the barn was heated too. About a year went by
>>> and a smoke detector went bad. I changed it. Couple of weeks later,
>>> another one goes bad. Couple of weeks the third one goes bad. So I
>>> naturally thought I'd got a bad lot of smokes. So, about a year goes
>>> by and another smoke detector goes bad. Month later another, few
>>> weeks later the third one.
>>> So to make it a short story. I sent the smoke detectors back to ESL
>>> and I ultimately found out that the combination of the ammonia and
>>> other elements in the animal piss created a crystalized deposit on
>>> the printed circuit boards shorting out the components.
>>>
>>> I replaced the smoke detectors with heat detectors and had no more
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> So if you start having problems with some of the electronics in the
>>> barn,
>>> Take heed.
>>>

>> Hi Jim,
>> Happy Friday!!....................... Maybe??  To early to tell.
>>
>> As for my timer project.  I checked the cameras this morning and
>> all is good.  YEA!!!  One day of success!!
>>
>> As for your barn experience.......... WOW!! Thanks for the story.

> [...]

Ha.  Some types of fruit can out gas and set off ammonia detectors.
This can be really fun in a giant commercial cooling facility where
their refrigerant is ammonia.  They drop everything and evacuate the
plant without exception when the ammonia detection system goes off.  I
put loud sirens and flashing lights in every area for that.

What's fun is the plant manager will reprogram the system during times
when they are handling that type of fruit and change the detection
levels.  Over the years they monkeyed with a bunch of the settings, and
they asked me to fix it.  I spent one day going around and reprogramming
the controllers and checking the wiring, and declared it fixed.  The
plant manager complained that was all I did.  The thing is that was all
it needed.  To be programmed correctly.  I asked him, "Would you like me
to make some stuff up?  Its good for now.  Call me if you have a
different problem and I'll fix it."

They were a good customer over the years.  They even sometimes had me do
handy man type stuff, and paid my T&M rate for it.

https://www.avg.com