Re: Just for discussion.

On 7/21/2020 8:35 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 5:31:27 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 7/21/2020 4:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>

>>> Yep.  They can and will although usually you only hear about it in an
>>> interrogation.  Sometimes they will do it to try and get you to doubt
>>> your own memory.  "Oh, I've been with the department since 19xx, and no
>>> officer by that name ever existed.  Certainly not at the rank and
>>> position you claim."  No shit.
>>>

>> Bob,
>> Hmmmmmmm sounds like you were on the wrong end of the stick.
>> And you remember it well!! Sorry to hear.  It is too bad that
>> kind of stuff has to happen.
>>
>> But, then again it is unlikely it will never change given the condition
>> of the human psychic.  We can wish for better, doesn't mean we will ever
>> get it.  Years ago I had purchased some furniture from a guy I worked
>> with.  Found out later that he was arrested for property theft.
>>
>> I reported to State Police that I had two pieces and wanted to get them
>> out of my apartment.  Was asked by the officer on the case to come to
>> the police barracks to make the report.  Turns out that two detectives
>> started to imply that I was involved in the theft or I should have known
>> the furniture was hot because of the low price that paid. It was about
>> time my button got pushed.  I gave them a piece of my mind, demanded
>> that they get the furniture removed from my apartment and walked out.
>> I ended up calling again in two weeks and told the detective that if the
>> stuff was not picked up that day I was going to put it out in the
>> parking lot and they can come by at any time to get it.  He was there
>> within the hour.  Ended up as a witness for the prosecution and had to
>> sit outside the courtroom for 3 days counting bricks on the wall. '763'
>> He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge or something.  Huge PITA!!!
>>
>> Yes, I remember it well!!
>>
>> As well as a very few other police moments in my life.
>> Some I won, some not so much.  All minor issues.
>> As I understand the "statutes of limitations" have expired.  ;-)
>>
>> Les
>
> When I was a kid I did a lot of bad stuff. But ---- I was always good at covering my ass so I wouldn't get caught. And I mean some REALLY bad and dangerous stuff.
>
> However the one time I did have a run in with the law ( and I may have mentioned it here before) was about 20/25 years ago.

> [...]

One time out at the lake (dirt road) a buddy of mine was leaving pulling
his boat.  If he was doing 10 MPH at the time it would be an
exaggeration.  He had pulled off the side of the road, and eased towards
the middle to pass some pedestrians.  In the other direction a small car
came drifting around the hill side.  Full on drifting out in the middle
of the road.  It was a pretty long sweeping turn so he had to be
cooking.  He just raked all the way down the side of my buddies truck
and boat and then spun out coming to a stop.  The first cop who
responded in plane clothes.  Said they were both at fault, so he could
write up a report, write them both a ticket, or they could just go home
and each let their own insurance handle it.

I walked out, paced off the center line of the road and then walked the
ruts (yes ruts) left from drifting, and said really load so everybody
within yelling distance could hear me, "The kid must be related to
somebody because he was probably drifting at over 100 miles per hour
when he cross the center line and hit (my buddy's) vehicle.  (My buddy)
wasn't even over the center line."  That cop looked at me.  He face
showed fear and then hatred as I walked to my truck and said, "You tell
that punk to keep his wreck off the road until I get out of here.  I
can't afford to replace my truck and boat at my own expense because the
cops refuse write him up for criminal speed."

Later I asked my buddy and sure enough the cop bullied him into leaving
without an accident report under a threat of a false ticket for being
over the center line.  I saw it happen and I knew better.  The evidence
was clear as day on the road.  You could clearly see the drift marks
from the car even after several other vehicles had driven over them.

$80K truck with every surface on drivers side smashed or crushed.
(brand new that year)  Boat totaled.  Maybe $30K.  Cop refuses to write
an accident report and shows fear on face when somebody says something
about it.