Re: Just for discussion.

On 7/22/2020 10:30 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 7/21/2020 8:35 PM, Jim Davis wrote:

>>> Bob,
>>> Hmmmmmmm sounds like you were on the wrong end of the stick.
>>> And you remember it well!! Sorry to hear.  It is too bad that
>>> kind of stuff has to happen.
>>>
>>> But, then again it is unlikely it will never change given the condition
>>> of the human psychic.  We can wish for better, doesn't mean we will ever
>>> get it.  Years ago I had purchased some furniture from a guy I worked
>>> with.  Found out later that he was arrested for property theft.
>>>
>>> I reported to State Police that I had two pieces and wanted to get them
>>> out of my apartment.  Was asked by the officer on the case to come to
>>> the police barracks to make the report.  Turns out that two detectives
>>> started to imply that I was involved in the theft or I should have known
>>> the furniture was hot because of the low price that paid. It was about
>>> time my button got pushed.  I gave them a piece of my mind, demanded
>>> that they get the furniture removed from my apartment and walked out.
>>> I ended up calling again in two weeks and told the detective that if the
>>> stuff was not picked up that day I was going to put it out in the
>>> parking lot and they can come by at any time to get it.  He was there
>>> within the hour.  Ended up as a witness for the prosecution and had to
>>> sit outside the courtroom for 3 days counting bricks on the wall. '763'
>>> He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge or something.  Huge PITA!!!
>>>
>>> Yes, I remember it well!!
>>>
>>> As well as a very few other police moments in my life.
>>> Some I won, some not so much.  All minor issues.
>>> As I understand the "statutes of limitations" have expired.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Les
>>
>> When I was a kid I did a lot of bad stuff. But ---- I was always good
>> at covering my ass so I wouldn't get caught. And I mean some REALLY
>> bad and dangerous stuff.
>>
>> However the one time I did have a run in with the law ( and I may have
>> mentioned it here before) was about 20/25 years ago.
>>
>> Had a customer who's store front window was broken in -- in the middle
>> of the night. He responded and stayed at the store until morning. He
>> called the glazer and me. Wanted me to be on standby to refoil the
>> window after the glass was installed. Well, the glazer didn't show up
>> until about 6PM so there I am at 9PM at night with keys to the store,
>> rewiring and installing the foil. My van is parked right at the curb
>> and front entrance to the store. So --- I'm going in and out of the
>> store to the van for parts and tools and locking up everything because
>> 4 stores down the block is a Dominos pizza with a bunch of teenagers
>> making a lot of noise and raising hell.
>>
>> So, I needed a hacksaw from the van. I unlocked the store front door,
>> walked directly to the van, opened the side door, climb in and going
>> through my tool basket looking for my hacksaw and the kids go running
>> by the van, banging on the side and hooting and hollering and try to
> [...]

That was just plain nasty to say the least!!  I can't top that
but here is one story that comes to mind.

Back in 1967 after returning home from my military time half way around
the world with the US Navy, I was visiting a friend in town.
I was driving a 56 Ford.  When I was leaving I bumped the car behind me
getting out of the parking space. No big deal, I continued home.  After
about 15 minutes, I received a call from the person I was visiting.  She
asked if I had hit a car when I was leaving.  I said, yes, I bumped the
car behind me??  She well the Cops are looking for you!!  I said, I will
be right there.  I got there and sure enough the car behind me was I
believe a Chevy Nova and had Aluminum Bumpers. My Ford had steel
vertical bumperets.  Needless to say it left a dent in the bumper upon a
minor bump.

I told the owner, who I also knew, that I would take care of it!!
Cop came over and asked for my information.  Told him that I will
take care of the damage since it was my fault.  He then said, I will
have to report this as "leaving the scene of an accident".  WHAT?!?!

I went to court and explained the situation to the Judge. Who after
deliberation of about 40 milliseconds dropped the gavel and said,
"THREE MONTHS SUSPENSION".      I then realized that I was made
an example of since they actually caught one this time.

Les