Re: Just for discussion.

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 5:31:27 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 7/21/2020 4:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

> >=20
> > Yep.=C2=A0 They can and will although usually you only hear about it in=
 an=20
> > interrogation.=C2=A0 Sometimes they will do it to try and get you to do=
ubt=20
> > your own memory.=C2=A0 "Oh, I've been with the department since 19xx, a=
nd no=20
> > officer by that name ever existed.=C2=A0 Certainly not at the rank and=
=20
> > position you claim."=C2=A0 No shit.
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> Bob,
> Hmmmmmmm sounds like you were on the wrong end of the stick.
> And you remember it well!! Sorry to hear.  It is too bad that
> kind of stuff has to happen.
>=20
> But, then again it is unlikely it will never change given the condition=
=20
> of the human psychic.  We can wish for better, doesn't mean we will ever=
=20
> get it.  Years ago I had purchased some furniture from a guy I worked=20
> with.  Found out later that he was arrested for property theft.
>=20
> I reported to State Police that I had two pieces and wanted to get them
> out of my apartment.  Was asked by the officer on the case to come to
> the police barracks to make the report.  Turns out that two detectives
> started to imply that I was involved in the theft or I should have known
> the furniture was hot because of the low price that paid. It was about
> time my button got pushed.  I gave them a piece of my mind, demanded
> that they get the furniture removed from my apartment and walked out.
> I ended up calling again in two weeks and told the detective that if the
> stuff was not picked up that day I was going to put it out in the
> parking lot and they can come by at any time to get it.  He was there
> within the hour.  Ended up as a witness for the prosecution and had to
> sit outside the courtroom for 3 days counting bricks on the wall. '763'
> He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge or something.  Huge PITA!!!
>=20
> Yes, I remember it well!!
>=20
> As well as a very few other police moments in my life.
> Some I won, some not so much.  All minor issues.
> As I understand the "statutes of limitations" have expired.  ;-)
>=20
> Les

When I was a kid I did a lot of bad stuff. But ---- I was always good at co=
vering my ass so I wouldn't get caught. And I mean some REALLY bad and dang=
erous stuff.

However the one time I did have a run in with the law ( and I may have ment=
ioned it here before) was about 20/25 years ago.

Had a customer who's store front window was broken in -- in the middle of t=
he night. He responded and stayed at the store until morning. He called the=
 glazer and me. Wanted me to be on standby to refoil the window after the g=
lass was installed. Well, the glazer didn't show up until about 6PM so ther=
e I am at 9PM at night with keys to the store, rewiring and installing the =
foil. My van is parked right at the curb and front entrance to the store. S=
o --- I'm going in and out of the store to the van for parts and tools and =
locking up everything because 4 stores down the block is a Dominos pizza wi=
th a bunch of teenagers making a lot of noise and raising hell.

So, I needed a hacksaw from the van. I unlocked the store front door, walke=
d directly to the van, opened the side door, climb in and going through my =
tool basket looking for my hacksaw and the kids go running by the van, bang=
ing on the side and hooting and hollering and try to slide the door shut on=
 me. I back out of the van and stand there looking at them to see what thei=
r next move is going to be. So the biggest one a little taller than me, wit=
h purple hair and pierced eyebrow, walks up to me followed by the other 4 p=
ushes me on the shoulder and asks me "What do you think YOUR"RE going to do=
?". At which point I rapped him in the head 4 or 5 times with the hacksaw. =
He WAS lucky in one respect that I didn't come out to the van for a hammer.=
=20

Here's where I made the mistake. I should have called the cops but after I =
hit him they ran away down the street. I thought it was over with. But THEY=
 called the cops. When the cops showed up they spoke to the kids first and =
I have no idea what they told them. The cops then asked me what happened an=
d then went back to the patrol car. Shortly after that, another patrol car =
showed up and the first one took off. The second cops came in to the store =
saw what I was working on and in the alarm business and said that they were=
 supposed to take me into custody since it was a case of assault. I told th=
em what happened and It was pretty obvious that I didn't just take a mind t=
o attack 5 teeagers with a hacksow. So they just gave me a summons to appea=
r. Come to find out the purple hair kids father was a cop. So I'm guessing =
that the cops in the first patrol car knew his father, and just told the se=
cond cops to arrest me.=20
I had to pay $5k to an attorney and got off with a warning. I know the judg=
e knew what had happened. (almost lost my pistol license too) I looked for =
the kid at the pizza place for a long time afterwards but never did see him=
 again. It turned out to be a good thing for both of us.
Lucky kid and lucky me.=20
Next time I would have gotten a much longer sentence.   =20