Re: Sprinkler Valve Hook-Up

On 6/20/2019 11:34 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 6:40:43 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>

>> Jim, it is Seoul, Korea.  I think that is south.  :-)
>>
>> Today I searched the misc. compression and flared fittings at Lowes but,
>> found nothing that would work.
>>
>> What I think happened during production is that a 1/2" NPT tap was
>> used to thread the hole. Except the tap thread was NOT inserted deep
>> enough. This caused the opening to be smaller than it should be.
>>
>> So, I did get a bit creative. I first tried to heat up the 1/2" NPT
>> adapter with my butane torch to see if I could get it to conform.
>> That failed badly.
>>
>> I tried another but with less flaming. That failed as well.
>>
>> I then used my wire cutters to make a cut in the threads lengthwise
>> with the intent to get the fitting smaller on the end to aid in the
>> insertion. Plastic could not handle the stress and cracked off a chunk.
>>
>> So that failed............ Twice!!
>>
>> I then used a hacksaw and make a 1/8" slot across the fitting. Broke
>> out the slug and then made a single cut at 90 degrees.
>>
>> I then inserted the fitting into the threaded port and it turned in
>> quite well and tightened up as it should.
>>
>> Not perfect but I think a reasonable solution given the condition.
>>
>> Now I have to make four(4) more.
>> The last of which will be the best one. P-M-P  "Practice Makes Perfect"
>>
>> Les
> FABULOUS ! ! ! ! !
>
> I'd bet that no one under the age of 40 could come up with that solution.
>
> Congrats!

Well, it seems the Manufacture Sales Rep along with one of their
engineers has found a fitting that will do the job.  They are
sending me 5 each of these units Next Day Air for me to use.

I will have them Monday to try them out.

It was confirmed that I was the first to bring this issue
to their attention.

Some days it is worth speaking up and getting heard.

Les