Re: Sprinkler Valve Hook-Up

On 6/19/2019 10:05 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 8:11:04 AM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> Sorry, can't help you. But you might be able to take an impression of the thread with some clay or duct seal and bring it to a pluming shop. They may be able to come up with something for you. Also, die sets come with a thread matching tool. If you don't have a die set try a machine shop. I'm guessing that it's metric.
>>>

>> Jim,
>>
>> I am guessing you might be right.  However, the Mfg. Sales Rep
>> said it was a US Standard.  I got more specific with him and
>> he said he would have to check with the home office.....
>> in Korea, and was to get back to me......... yesterday.......
>>
>> Thinking he lost my number........ I am calling again today.
>>
>> Boggles the mind!!!  Oh, I am trying to type NICELY!!  :-)
>>
>> Les
>
> Was he very specific about whether it wad NORTH or South Korea ?

Jim, it is Seoul, Korea.  I think that is south.  :-)

Today I searched the misc. compression and flared fittings at Lowes but,
found nothing that would work.

What I think happened during production is that a 1/2" NPT tap was
used to thread the hole. Except the tap thread was NOT inserted deep
enough. This caused the opening to be smaller than it should be.

So, I did get a bit creative. I first tried to heat up the 1/2" NPT
adapter with my butane torch to see if I could get it to conform.
That failed badly.

I tried another but with less flaming. That failed as well.

I then used my wire cutters to make a cut in the threads lengthwise
with the intent to get the fitting smaller on the end to aid in the
insertion. Plastic could not handle the stress and cracked off a chunk.

So that failed............ Twice!!

I then used a hacksaw and make a 1/8" slot across the fitting. Broke
out the slug and then made a single cut at 90 degrees.

I then inserted the fitting into the threaded port and it turned in
quite well and tightened up as it should.

Not perfect but I think a reasonable solution given the condition.

Now I have to make four(4) more.
The last of which will be the best one. P-M-P  "Practice Makes Perfect"

Les