Re: Moore's Electronics

"Jim Davis"  wrote in message
news:c2fea6de-13f4-4afd-8776-5e479898cf3c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 12:54:02 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

> I was installing cameras during the vidicon tube and VCR days. Some of the
> cameras took two people on ladders to mount them they were so heavy and
> awkward to handle
> .
> I dropped out of the CCTV business for about 10 years and started
> re-educating myself about 10/15 years ago when I saw the popularity
> growing
> and the advent of better IP cameras and people were installing them at
> reasonable prices.
>
> I dropped out because there were people installing cameras for the cost of
> equipment and $100.00 a day labor. I refused to compete with that. It's a
> lot better now. Around here .... anyway.
>
> ***************
>
> P.S.  I'm not as old as you.  I did install a few vidicon cameras... as a
> kid working in my parents grocery store, and they were light enough I
> could
> lug them around under one arm.  LOL.

I'm just remembering somthing that happened back then with an old vidicon
and VCR recorder installation. When VCR's first came out they didn't record
all cameras simultaniously but in sequence. And, of course if the area being
viewed was dark it took a little longer to create each frane

Anyway, I had a big Restaurant three bars where the owner wanted to catch
the bartenders skimming the money from the registers. So I quoted two
cameras at each end of each bar looking at the cash registers in the center.
Well, neeless to say, it didn't work. The bartenders could skim the cash
faster than the VCR could record them doing it. By the time each camera
created a frame and between the time one camera created a picture and the
next camera created a picture the money was already gone. We could see the
money head toward the register but it just wasn't fast enough to see them
palm the bills. I had to pull the system out and fortunately was able to use
the cameras and VCR at another job.
It was a good lesson learned.

Now you throw a couple 3-4 megapixel domes over the key areas and you get
every detail.  With SD Cards in the cameras it doesn't even do any good to
steal the NVR.  My how things have changed.