Re: Moore's Electronics

"Jim Davis"  wrote in message
news:c5cef032-11ff-4198-b43b-c1d62664550b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 2:26:19 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

> "DITTO"
>
> No repairs for me either. If it's broke .... don't fix it.
>
> Customers around here don't expect that anything can be repaired.
> Replace with new is the motto.
>
> Although I will say that I do take pleasure in keeping some of the older
> alarm system running with parts that I have salvaged from other jobs.
>
> Believe it or not but I have a couple of Ademco 5600 wireless systems
> still
> running. Some old Acron dialers. Napco 825, Morse ( I forgot the model #)
>
> As long as I have spare parts and the basic system is good, I keep the ol
> timers going.
>
> **********
>
> In my defense... and a little bit in Nick's when I first started
> installing
> DVRs average cost was around $5K USD, and his cost to completely rebuild
> one
> including all new parts averaged $500-700.  Now with a Digital Watchdog
> DVR
> or NVR  or  HikVision NVR priced around what Nick charges to rebuild one
> it
> no longer makes sense... except that Dedicated MIcros supports multiple
> communications formats to support other manufacturer's PTZ cameras.  Last
> time I had checked Dedicated Micros had not come down in price to match
> the
> market.  I just passed the rebuild charge on directly to the customer and
> added my labor to remove it and reinstall it.  I would even show them the
> invoice.

I was installing cameras during the vidicon tube and VCR days. Some of the
cameras took two people on ladders to mount them they were so heavy and
awkward to handle
.
I dropped out of the CCTV business for about 10 years and started
re-educating myself about 10/15 years ago when I saw the popularity growing
and the advent of better IP cameras and people were installing them at
reasonable prices.

I dropped out because there were people installing cameras for the cost of
equipment and $100.00 a day labor. I refused to compete with that. It's a
lot better now. Around here .... anyway.

P.S.  I'm not as old as you.  I did install a few vidicon cameras... as a
kid working in my parents grocery store, and they were light enough I could
lug them around under one arm.  LOL.