Re: Moore's Electronics

On 10/14/2017 9:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I have to say that the last couple years I used Moore's to rebuild DVRs
> (mostly Dedicated Micros) I had more than a couple come back and have to
> be sent right back again.  Maybe it was just bad luck, but it wasn't
> just once. The last one I sent in for a problem they didn't fix at all.
> It turned out that somehow the customer was using a power supply that
> was to small for the unit.  Moore's charged a pretty penny to fix it and
> said they burned it in for several days before sending it back, but
> within a day it started exhibiting the same symptom.  Now you might
> argue that they couldn't know the customer had a mismatched power
> supply, but Nick had climbed up my ass over not sending in power
> supplies with units years previously.  I never sent one in again without
> one the exact power supply that was in use with the unit in the field.
> It was purely an accident that I happened to have the again failing unit
> on my work bench along side a good brand new unit and noticed the
> DEDICATED MICROS power supplies for both units looked different. Rather
> than have Nick climb up my ass again I bought a correct used power
> supply off Ebay and gave it my customer for free.  The unit has been
> working fine ever since.
>
> Oh, before I go on...  Nick lost the DVR in the paragraph before.  He
> cashed my check, but he lost the DVR.  After several phone calls and him
> blaming me for it some how and saying he was doing me a favor to provide
> service he finally found it.  I wonder if he found the same power
> supply.  LOL.  Later he called me back sounding like he was apologizing
> at first, but then went on to blame me for the problem and berate me
> again.  I finally just had to hang up on him.
>
> So, now that I am out of the business and long since dumped Dedicated
> Micros and doing DM rebuilds what difference does it make?
>
> Over the years sometimes a customer would just have me get them a new
> unit when one started flaking out rather than having it rebuilt.  If
> they said I could have the old one I sent it in to Moore's Electronics
> and had it rebuilt anyway on my own dime.  This way I always had loaners
> if I needed to send a unit in for warranty or even non-warranty
> repairs.  One of the DVRs in my machine shop is one such unit Nick or
> one of his guys rebuilt many many years ago.  To be fair it works great
> and has for several years.  Now with several cameras being diverted to
> monitor machines I decided I needed a second DVR in service in the
> shop.  Yesterday I pulled down a Moore's Electronics rebuild unit that
> has not been powered up since I got it back. One of those spares I had
> done to be a loaner.  It randomly locks up.  The very exact symptom I
> sent it in for in the first place.  I did finally find a good place for
> the unit however.
>
> See Image:  http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_14_10_17_6_49_24.jpeg
>
> Like I said,  maybe I just had bad luck with Nick and Moore's
> [...]

Very nice write up.  Never heard of Moore's Electronic before now.  And
now that I have I can easily say I have forgotten all that I have learned.

Actually, I have never used a outside electronics repair shop, except
for warrantee repairs by the manufacturer.  My feeling has been if it
last longer than two weeks it is most likely a good unit.  If after a
number of years in service it finally dies, it is not worth repairing so
it needs to be replaced with new.  Depending on the problem or why it
crashed, I will then make what repairs I can and place it on the shelf
as a spare for future quick loans to keep customer running.

I say again, very nice write up.  Good Job!!!  And perfect disposition.
You get a A+ along with an attaboy.

Thanks,

Les