Re: Moore's Electronics

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 10:02:03 AM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 10/14/2017 9:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> > I have to say that the last couple years I used Moore's to rebuild DVRs=
=20
> > (mostly Dedicated Micros) I had more than a couple come back and have t=
o=20
> > be sent right back again.=C2=A0 Maybe it was just bad luck, but it wasn=
't=20
> > just once. The last one I sent in for a problem they didn't fix at all.=
 =20
> > It turned out that somehow the customer was using a power supply that=
=20
> > was to small for the unit.=C2=A0 Moore's charged a pretty penny to fix =
it and=20
> > said they burned it in for several days before sending it back, but=20
> > within a day it started exhibiting the same symptom.=C2=A0 Now you migh=
t=20
> > argue that they couldn't know the customer had a mismatched power=20
> > supply, but Nick had climbed up my ass over not sending in power=20
> > supplies with units years previously.=C2=A0 I never sent one in again w=
ithout=20
> > one the exact power supply that was in use with the unit in the field. =
=20
> > It was purely an accident that I happened to have the again failing uni=
t=20
> > on my work bench along side a good brand new unit and noticed the=20
> > DEDICATED MICROS power supplies for both units looked different. Rather=
=20
> > than have Nick climb up my ass again I bought a correct used power=20
> > supply off Ebay and gave it my customer for free.=C2=A0 The unit has be=
en=20
> > working fine ever since.
> >=20
> > Oh, before I go on...=C2=A0 Nick lost the DVR in the paragraph before.=
=C2=A0 He=20
> > cashed my check, but he lost the DVR.=C2=A0 After several phone calls a=
nd him=20
> > blaming me for it some how and saying he was doing me a favor to provid=
e=20
> > service he finally found it.=C2=A0 I wonder if he found the same power=
=20
> > supply.=C2=A0 LOL.=C2=A0 Later he called me back sounding like he was a=
pologizing=20
> > at first, but then went on to blame me for the problem and berate me=20
> > again.=C2=A0 I finally just had to hang up on him.
> >=20
> > So, now that I am out of the business and long since dumped Dedicated=
=20
> > Micros and doing DM rebuilds what difference does it make?
> >=20
> > Over the years sometimes a customer would just have me get them a new=
=20
> > unit when one started flaking out rather than having it rebuilt.=C2=A0 =
If=20
> > they said I could have the old one I sent it in to Moore's Electronics=
=20
> > and had it rebuilt anyway on my own dime.=C2=A0 This way I always had l=
oaners=20
> > if I needed to send a unit in for warranty or even non-warranty=20
> > repairs.=C2=A0 One of the DVRs in my machine shop is one such unit Nick=
 or=20
> > one of his guys rebuilt many many years ago.=C2=A0 To be fair it works =
great=20
> > and has for several years.=C2=A0 Now with several cameras being diverte=
d to=20
> > monitor machines I decided I needed a second DVR in service in the=20
> > shop.=C2=A0 Yesterday I pulled down a Moore's Electronics rebuild unit =
that=20
> > has not been powered up since I got it back. One of those spares I had=
=20
> > done to be a loaner.=C2=A0 It randomly locks up.=C2=A0 The very exact s=
ymptom I=20
> > sent it in for in the first place.=C2=A0 I did finally find a good plac=
e for=20
> > the unit however.
> >=20
> > See Image:=C2=A0 http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_14_10_17_6_49_24.jpe=
> >=20
> > Like I said,=C2=A0 maybe I just had bad luck with Nick and Moore's=20
> > Electronics over the last few years I did business with them, Maybe Nic=
k=20
> > just had a bad day that lasted for several years and its all better now=
,=20
> > but if I was still servicing video systems I would not send another uni=
t=20
> > to them after today. Its sad really.=C2=A0 When I first started sending=
 units=20
> > to him every one came back perfect.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Hi Bob,
>=20
> Very nice write up.  Never heard of Moore's Electronic before now.  And
> now that I have I can easily say I have forgotten all that I have learned=
.
>=20
> Actually, I have never used a outside electronics repair shop, except=20
> for warrantee repairs by the manufacturer.  My feeling has been if it=20
> last longer than two weeks it is most likely a good unit.  If after a=20
> number of years in service it finally dies, it is not worth repairing so=
=20
> it needs to be replaced with new.  Depending on the problem or why it=20
> crashed, I will then make what repairs I can and place it on the shelf
> as a spare for future quick loans to keep customer running.
>=20
> I say again, very nice write up.  Good Job!!!  And perfect disposition.
> [...]

"DITTO"

No repairs for me either. If it's broke .... don't fix it.

Customers around here don't expect that anything can be repaired.=20
Replace with new is the motto.

Although I will say that I do take pleasure in keeping some of the older al=
arm system running with parts that I have salvaged from other jobs.

Believe it or not but I have a couple of Ademco 5600 wireless systems still=
 running. Some old Acron dialers. Napco 825, Morse ( I forgot the model #)

As long as I have spare parts and the basic system is good, I keep the ol t=
imers going.