Re: Prewire Boxes

> I will wrap a gob around a nail, but also I do about a foot of crisscross
> in the stud space using lightly inserted staples.  This makes a really
> nice sounder if someone has to use a toner and, it's very easy to pop a
> hole, stick in a hook and yank out the wire.
>
> Whenever I've done that, there's no battle or frustration when I come back
> for the finish to find all the corners nice and smooth.
>
> Another trick I've seen is to drill a 7/8 or 1" hole right into the
> corner.  bring the wire through that and wad up a ball in the hole plus a
> nail and a wad right on top of it.

Hi,

Close to what I do, but I do it with a twist. I never use nails since the
drywallers will either pull them out or beat them in...That's all they know.
I realized long ago that drywallers are only wanting to get their work done
as quick and as easy as possible.

I have not had any problems doing it this way below.

Drill a 7/8" hole in the corner about 2" deep. Drill a 3/8" hole from the
bottom of the first hole to get your wire from the main line.

Find on the jobsite or buy, a length of pvc pipe that fits the hole. The
pipe needs only to be about 5" long. Drill a small hole into one end, on the
side, about 1/4" from the end so that you can thread your 4  conductor.
Put the pipe into the hole, it should be snug...tap in it if you need to.

Pull your wire snug, start folding it together in a small, flat loop of
about 4" long, about 3-4 times, and use a small zip-tie to hold it together.

Insert it into the pipe, and the left over wire length will come thru the
end hole from the inside. Then, simply make a knot, around the end of the
pipe, with the wire end and leave about 3" out and bend it back flat against
the pipe.

The wire will be totally protected. Oh yes, I look at the contractor real
straight in the eyes and show him the pipe(s) for the motions. I tell him to
make sure the drywallers are notified by himself... and that he is totally
responsible.

.......Or else he pays $115. for a wireless motion...!   I've never had any
problems.

When it's time to trim out, the pipe easily twists out with a pair of pliers
and your wire comes out of its cocoon ready for brighter days of motion
viewing.

I also use this for glassbreaks into ceilings, thru the rafter method, so
that even if I use a round glassbreak, the hole will be covered up. It does
not take time. I keep a bag of ready made pipes in my van. I re-use the ones
removed at trimout.

Hope this helps someone.