Re: Prewire Boxes

Those place we don't use a box we use 1/2 or 3/8  pvc about 4-6" long.
Using romex staples we secure the pvc to the side of the stud either for
side wall or ceiling.
Then run the wire through the pvc and place a loop knot in the end so it
will not pull back through the pvc.
Also leave a extra loop inside the wall or overhead cavity as a safety..
(when dealing with unknown sheet rocker or contractors,  we sometime wrap
the stud with tinfoil, to aid in tracking wire location with a small metal
detector.)

RTS

"Chris"  wrote in message

Bob,

Sounds similar to what I do with motions now.  However, that extra bit of
wire in the wall is usually useless, as the drywallers have pinched the wire
between the stud and the drywall.  When mounting the motion, I would prefer
to have a couple feet of wire to work with, connect the motion, then stuff
the rest of the wire back into the wall.  Typically, this isn't an option.
And then, naturally, the nail itself tends to disappear... even the ones
used in nail guns with glue at the tip.

I could, of course, use single-gang electrical boxes... but I've seen that
done and the end result looks terrible.

- Chris

---