Re: Prewire Boxes

"Chris" <chriswheeldon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1851299a-799c-464f-a7c5-815e05ac5d24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Has anyone found boxes that can be used for prewiring homes?
>
> Keypads and smoke detectors can usually use typical electrical boxes, and
> I'll typically install 3/8" recessed contacts during the prewire to avoid
> hassle later on.
>
> I had thought of using short pieces of plastic conduit, but I'm not sure
> how I would secure them and the wire in them to prevent them from being
> "lost" between the prewire and the installation.  The biggest issue, of
> course, is the drywallers.
>
> - Chris

Smokes, glassbreaks, keypads, & inside sirens get standard 1 gang nail on
boxes with hand wrap of extra wire tucked all the way to the back of the
box.  Motions get a 16 penny nail with a gob of wire wrapped around it, and
an accordion bend of wire back inside the wall so when the drywallers beat
your nail to death you can pull fresh wire out of the wall.  Door and window
contacts get an overhand knot inside the frame with an short accordion bend
of extra wire in the wall.  Main power gets tucked into the nail that holds
the electrical box where you will plug in the transformer.  Standard
personnel doors get a double bent wire showing through the hole in the jamb
with... an accordion bend of wire inside the header.

I have taken to doing a walk around a with my cell phone in video mode after
every single prewire showing every single wire.

I always assume the general, the dry waller, and anybody else in the house
are assholes who will deliberately damage stuff if they think they can get
away with it, so I use the hell out of nailing safety plates.

Bob La Londe
The Security Consultant

Licenses
ROC103044 & ROC103047