Re: Switches Anyone?

"Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:SB3at.502415$Hg7.160053@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> I've got custromers with CNC machines so big that you can walk around
>> inside them but they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. My customer
>> says he has one thats so expensive the mfg doesn't even sell it. You can
>> only lease it. Every time I go there and go into the shop, I just stand
>> there and stare at the damn things while they're going though all their
>> steps. Amazing!
>
> I don't have anything that big.  My first machine only weighs about a
> hundred pounds and
> sets in an aluminum cabinet on a work bench.  I think the base machine
> cost about $1700, and I put another 13-1600 in it to get how it is today.
> I really need to retire it, but it makes saleable parts.  I have a couple
> other machines in that same class give or take.  My biggest machine is
> only about 2 tons with a 5HP spindle and a work envelope of 14"x24"x18"
> apx.
>
> To be honest I enjoy machining and metalworking so much if I could make
> the transition easily I would quit contracting this evening.  I already
> manufacture a few custom parts, and developed a little bit of a quiet
> reputation in a certain niche market.  In fact there are people
> manufacturing products all the way around the world using parts I made for
> them on my "toy" CNC machines.  Sweden, Mexico, UK, Australia, etc...
>
> I also really enjoy building and retrofitting machines.  I probably waste
> to much time turning junk machines into good machines, but I like it.
>
> If you would believe it, I paid $500 for my biggest machine, and I have
> maybe $1500 more into it including the computer.  Most of the expense has
> been little stuff.  It adds up.  I bought it to retrofit, and I have it
> running with Mach 3 under Windows XP.  I'm debating switching it over to
> LinuxCNC.  It cooks along pretty good at 250 inches per minute.  Not to
> bad when you figure the table and saddle are about 1000 pounds.  I could
> run it faster, but that was what the original manufacturer had it running
> at and I don't want to embarrass them.  LOL.
>
> Now, my brother in-law is a manager for a company that has some big
> machines.  They are cranking out jet engine and aircraft parts with
> machines that wouldn't even fit in my shop.  (my shop is 50'x60'x16')
>
> Anyway, I have a CNC router with 12"x14"x3" apx envelope that is perfect
> for making custom control panels.  If its dedicated and not likely to
> change I engrave everything after I am done doing all the cutouts.  Sunday
> I will probably spend the day in the shop cutting some molds.  Tomorrow I
> have to go finish an alarm I have been putting off all week.

Bob,

I would be interested in talking about what you can and can't make on your
CNC machines as well as cost/quantity, etc.  I use to have your email
address but with a major computer issue late last year I am now rebuilding
my contact list.  How can we reconnect with out posting to the universe so
to speak??

TIA

Les