Re: Switches Anyone?

On 4/11/2013 5:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> We want to set up some switches that provide inputs to an NVR that
>>> will trigger presets on a PTZ camera.
>>>
>>> We have 16 inputs available but will likely only need 5 or so.
>>>
>>> Do any of you know of a ready made console with momentary switches so
>>> we won't have to spend a bunch of time crafting something?  We would
>>> rather avoid project boxes from rat shack and I don't have the skills
>>> to work sheet metal.
>>>
>>> Ideally, the switches would be spaced out enough to label each one
>>> with the view of that preset.
>>>
>>> I tried to google for switch console but it was mostly network
>>> equipment...
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> What am I missing?  If it has inputs can't you just use the dry
>> contacts from your triggers to trigger your PTZ?  I know Spectra Domes
>> are internally programmable to take specific inputs and go to specific
>> presets.  Are you moving the PTZ from the NVR?  If so I still don't
>> see why you cant trigger the inputs on the NVR from the dry contacts
>> on your signal source.  Is it a voltage trigger +5 : >+1 like using
>> one of the pins on an LPT port?  Then just route a regulated 5VDC
>> power source through your dry contacts.  (don't forget to tie your
>> grounds together) All your stuff NC?  Then get a small bank of relays.
>>
>> Or... are you trying to build an external mechanical preset selector?
>> In that case buy a project box and fit it with a bunch of arcade
>> buttons. Arcade buttons are fairly cheap, and the micro switches on
>> them will take a beating, and they are form C.  Check fleabay for
>> those if you don't find another source.
>>
>> Like I said, "What am I missing?"  Its all pretty basic electrical
>> circuits.
>
> I guess reading comprehension is an issue for me today.  The last is
> what you want to do.  If worse comes to worse I can build you one.  If
> got a bunch of X-Arcade buttons laying around the shop left over from my
> last CNC console build.

Found a couple places on the web that sell attractive plastic or metal
project boxes.  Still don't know what the boss wants to do, but with a
decent box, putting in switches, doing the wiring and setting up for
connections won't be hard at all and I've let him know it won't take too
much time.

A sharp drill bit, a hot soldering iron and zippity zoppity ya got the
console...

He's still hoping for an off the shelf solution.  I don't think it's out
there.