Re: Switches Anyone?

news:d0db3ec3-fe12-4ea3-a5c0-f7edea3d03c0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:17:28 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> news:kk7bu8$sc0$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > On 4/11/2013 5:40 PM, Bob La Londe
>> wrote: >> "Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message >>
>> news:o1G9t.458245$uU.86624@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >>> "JoeRaisin"
>> <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message >>>
>> news:kk51sj$4v8$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >>>> We want to set up some switches
>> that provide inputs to an NVR that >>>> will trigger presets on a PTZ
>> camera. >>>> >>>> We have 16 inputs available but will likely only need 5
>> or so. >>>> >>>> Do any of you know of a ready made console with
>> momentary switches so >>>> we won't have to spend a bunch of time
>> crafting something? We would >>>> rather avoid project boxes from rat
>> shack and I don't have the skills >>>> to work sheet metal. >>>> >>>>
>> Ideally, the switches would be spaced out enough to label each one >>>>
>> with the view of that preset. >>>> >>>> I tried to google for switch
>> console but it was mostly network >>>> equipment... >>>> >>>> Thanks in
>> advance. >>> >>> >>> What am I missing? If it has inputs can't you just
>> use the dry >>> contacts from your triggers to trigger your PTZ? I know
>> Spectra Domes >>> are internally programmable to take specific inputs and
>> go to specific >>> presets. Are you moving the PTZ from the NVR? If so I
>> still don't >>> see why you cant trigger the inputs on the NVR from the
>> dry contacts >>> on your signal source. Is it a voltage trigger +5 : >+1
>> like using >>> one of the pins on an LPT port? Then just route a
>> regulated 5VDC >>> power source through your dry contacts. (don't forget
>> to tie your >>> grounds together) All your stuff NC? Then get a small
>> bank of relays. >>> >>> Or... are you trying to build an external
>> mechanical preset selector? >>> In that case buy a project box and fit it
>> with a bunch of arcade >>> buttons. Arcade buttons are fairly cheap, and
>> the micro switches on >>> them will take a beating, and they are form C.
>> Check fleabay for >>> those if you don't find another source. >>> >>>
>> Like I said, "What am I missing?" Its all pretty basic electrical >>>
>> circuits. >> >> I guess reading comprehension is an issue for me today.
>> The last is >> what you want to do. If worse comes to worse I can build
>> you one. If >> got a bunch of X-Arcade buttons laying around the shop
>> left over from my >> last CNC console build. > > Found a couple places on
>> the web that sell attractive plastic or metal > project boxes. Still
>> don't know what the boss wants to do, but with a > decent box, putting in
>> switches, doing the wiring and setting up for > connections won't be hard
>> at all and I've let him know it won't take too > much time. > > A sharp
>> drill bit, a hot soldering iron and zippity zoppity ya got the >
>> console... > > He's still hoping for an off the shelf solution. I don't
>> think it's out > there. Custom solutions are so fast and easy these days
> [...]

I don't have anything that big.  My first machine only weighs about a
hundred pounds and
sets in an aluminum cabinet on a work bench.  I think the base machine cost
about $1700, and I put another 13-1600 in it to get how it is today.  I
really need to retire it, but it makes saleable parts.  I have a couple
other machines in that same class give or take.  My biggest machine is only
about 2 tons with a 5HP spindle and a work envelope of 14"x24"x18" apx.

To be honest I enjoy machining and metalworking so much if I could make the
transition easily I would quit contracting this evening.  I already
manufacture a few custom parts, and developed a little bit of a quiet
reputation in a certain niche market.  In fact there are people
manufacturing products all the way around the world using parts I made for
them on my "toy" CNC machines.  Sweden, Mexico, UK, Australia, etc...

I also really enjoy building and retrofitting machines.  I probably waste to
much time turning junk machines into good machines, but I like it.

If you would believe it, I paid $500 for my biggest machine, and I have
maybe $1500 more into it including the computer.  Most of the expense has
been little stuff.  It adds up.  I bought it to retrofit, and I have it
running with Mach 3 under Windows XP.  I'm debating switching it over to
LinuxCNC.  It cooks along pretty good at 250 inches per minute.  Not to bad
when you figure the table and saddle are about 1000 pounds.  I could run it
faster, but that was what the original manufacturer had it running at and I
don't want to embarrass them.  LOL.

Now, my brother in-law is a manager for a company that has some big
machines.  They are cranking out jet engine and aircraft parts with machines
that wouldn't even fit in my shop.  (my shop is 50'x60'x16')

Anyway, I have a CNC router with 12"x14"x3" apx envelope that is perfect for
making custom control panels.  If its dedicated and not likely to change I
engrave everything after I am done doing all the cutouts.  Sunday I will
probably spend the day in the shop cutting some molds.  Tomorrow I have to
go finish an alarm I have been putting off all week.