Re: Switches Anyone?

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:17:28 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:kk7bu8$sc0$1@=
dont-email.me... > On 4/11/2013 5:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> "Bob La Lon=
de" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message >> news:o1G9t.458245$uU.86624@newsfe=
11.iad... >>> "JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message >>> ne=
ws:kk51sj$4v8$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >>>> We want to set up some switches that =
provide inputs to an NVR that >>>> will trigger presets on a PTZ camera. >>=
>>> rather avoid project boxes from rat shack and I don't have the skills >=
>>> to work sheet metal. >>>> >>>> Ideally, the switches would be spaced ou=
t enough to label each one >>>> with the view of that preset. >>>> >>>> I t=
ried to google for switch console but it was mostly network >>>> equipment.=
.. >>>> >>>> Thanks in advance. >>> >>> >>> What am I missing? If it has in=
puts can't you just use the dry >>> contacts from your triggers to trigger =
your PTZ? I know Spectra Domes >>> are internally programmable to take spec=
ific inputs and go to specific >>> presets. Are you moving the PTZ from the=
 NVR? If so I still don't >>> see why you cant trigger the inputs on the NV=
R from the dry contacts >>> on your signal source. Is it a voltage trigger =
+5 : >+1 like using >>> one of the pins on an LPT port? Then just route a r=
egulated 5VDC >>> power source through your dry contacts. (don't forget to =
tie your >>> grounds together) All your stuff NC? Then get a small bank of =
relays. >>> >>> Or... are you trying to build an external mechanical preset=
 selector? >>> In that case buy a project box and fit it with a bunch of ar=
cade >>> buttons. Arcade buttons are fairly cheap, and the micro switches o=
n >>> them will take a beating, and they are form C. Check fleabay for >>> =
those if you don't find another source. >>> >>> Like I said, "What am I mis=
sing?" Its all pretty basic electrical >>> circuits. >> >> I guess reading =
comprehension is an issue for me today. The last is >> what you want to do.=
 If worse comes to worse I can build you one. If >> got a bunch of X-Arcade=
 buttons laying around the shop left over from my >> last CNC console build=
. > > Found a couple places on the web that sell attractive plastic or meta=
l > project boxes. Still don't know what the boss wants to do, but with a >=
 decent box, putting in switches, doing the wiring and setting up for > con=
nections won't be hard at all and I've let him know it won't take too > muc=
h time. > > A sharp drill bit, a hot soldering iron and zippity zoppity ya =
got the > console... > > He's still hoping for an off the shelf solution. I=
 don't think it's out > there. Custom solutions are so fast and easy these =
days that its hardly worth trying to shoehorn an off the shelf solution. Bl=
ack plastic wallpaper, plastic edge trim, and some MDF and you can have a c=
ustom solution that looks like it was mass produced in a factory with actua=
l quality control. The same effort with a brushed aluminum project box, and=
 you get a really cool industrial looking custom solution. I cheat. I do st=
uff like that on one of the CNC machines. I got into it as a hobby, but now=
 I make so much stuff on them I don't know how I ever got along without the=
m. Its pretty cool when you make a custom face plate for something and your=
 company name becomes a permanent part of the building.

Jeeeze Bob, how much does a machine like that go for? How big?=20

I've got custromers with CNC machines so big that you can walk around insid=
e them but they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. My customer says he =
has one thats so expensive the mfg doesn't even sell it. You can only lease=
 it. Every time I go there and go into the shop, I just stand there and sta=
re at the damn things while they're going though all their steps. Amazing!