Re: PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work

On Oct 10, 9:33=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:00:20 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote:
> > On 07/10/2012 8:25 PM, Jim wrote: > On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:44:28 =
PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> "Jim" <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote in message=
news:ef5b0e3a-9a06-42a5-b0bd-de8ac9c067fa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > On Thursday=
, October 4, 2012 7:59:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> PK5501 LCD Some =
Keys Don't Work I had a service call to move a keypad >> today because the =
customer is removing the wall where it was previously >> mounted. After the=
 move keys 369# (and the various special function keys) >> no longer work. =
Keys 124578*0 still work fine and user codes using those >> keys (fortunate=
ly they had some programmed) still arm and disarm. I >> didn't drop or abus=
e the keypad in anyway during the move. It seemed like >> an easy service c=
all. Any suggestions? I did already order a replacement >> keypad. > > Had =
they already begun construction? Maybe dust inside? Did you > disassemble a=
nd look at the lands on the PC board? Is there a ribbon > connector that ma=
y have come loose? I don't know the configuration/layout > of the keypad bu=
t it looks possible that 3,6,9 and # are all in a v erticle > row. That wou=
ld indicate (to me, anyway) either a loose/bad connection > either on the P=
C board or wires in the keypad or something to do with the > processors mat=
rix. If you have an eye loup or good magnifier, look at the > solder connec=
tions on the PC board. In removing the Keypad, you may have > flexed the PC=
 Board and broken a component or lead solder connection. It > depends on ho=
w crazy you want to get with it but, you could touch each of > the solder c=
onnections with a (not too hot ) iron. > Nah! Only I'm that crazy. I did ta=
ke it apart and give it the eyeball, but I didn't go get my reading glasses=
 out of the truck. Never carried a loupe in the truck, but I do have a coup=
le in the shop. Maybe its time to start. > > At times I think I could use a=
 pair of glasses with two 20X eye loupes glued onto the lens of the glasses=
. > > I think it must be the air polution that prevents me from seeing as g=
ood as I used to. >

> Naw. It's the sea air. Too much salt in your eyes. :-)
>
> I didn't think of that excuse.
>
> How kind of you.

Swapped the keypad, works perfectly including some codes that didn't
work before...  interesting.