Re: PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:00:20 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 8:25 PM, Jim wrote: > On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:44:28 PM=
 UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message n=
ews:ef5b0e3a-9a06-42a5-b0bd-de8ac9c067fa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > On Thursday,=
 October 4, 2012 7:59:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> PK5501 LCD Some K=
eys Don't Work I had a service call to move a keypad >> today because the c=
ustomer is removing the wall where it was previously >> mounted. After the =
move keys 369# (and the various special function keys) >> no longer work. K=
eys 124578*0 still work fine and user codes using those >> keys (fortunatel=
y they had some programmed) still arm and disarm. I >> didn't drop or abuse=
 the keypad in anyway during the move. It seemed like >> an easy service ca=
ll. Any suggestions? I did already order a replacement >> keypad. > > Had t=
hey already begun construction? Maybe dust inside? Did you > disassemble an=
d look at the lands on the PC board? Is there a ribbon > connector that may=
 have come loose? I don't know the configuration/layout > of the keypad but=
 it looks possible that 3,6,9 and # are all in a v erticle > row. That woul=
d indicate (to me, anyway) either a loose/bad connection > either on the PC=
 board or wires in the keypad or something to do with the > processors matr=
ix. If you have an eye loup or good magnifier, look at the > solder connect=
ions on the PC board. In removing the Keypad, you may have > flexed the PC =
Board and broken a component or lead solder connection. It > depends on how=
 crazy you want to get with it but, you could touch each of > the solder co=
nnections with a (not too hot ) iron. > Nah! Only I'm that crazy. I did tak=
e it apart and give it the eyeball, but I didn't go get my reading glasses =
out of the truck. Never carried a loupe in the truck, but I do have a coupl=
e in the shop. Maybe its time to start. > > At times I think I could use a =
pair of glasses with two 20X eye loupes glued onto the lens of the glasses.=
 > > I think it must be the air polution that prevents me from seeing as go=
od as I used to. >=20

Naw. It's the sea air. Too much salt in your eyes. :-)

I didn't think of that excuse.  =20

How kind of you.