Re: PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:59:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work I had a service call to move a keypad tod=
ay because the customer is removing the wall where it was previously mounte=
d. After the move keys 369# (and the various special function keys) no long=
er work. Keys 124578*0 still work fine and user codes using those keys (for=
tunately they had some programmed) still arm and disarm. I didn't drop or a=
buse the keypad in anyway during the move. It seemed like an easy service c=
all. Any suggestions? I did already order a replacement keypad.

Had they already begun construction? Maybe dust inside?  Did you disassembl=
e and look at the lands on the PC board? Is there a ribbon connector that m=
ay have come loose? I don't know the configuration/layout of the keypad but=
 it looks possible that 3,6,9 and # are all in a verticle row. That would i=
ndicate (to me, anyway) either a loose/bad connection either on the PC boar=
d or wires in the keypad or something to do with the processors matrix. If =
you have an eye loup or good magnifier, look at the solder connections on t=
he PC board. In removing the Keypad, you may have flexed the PC Board and b=
roken a component or lead solder connection. It depends on how crazy you wa=
nt to get with it but, you could touch each of the solder connections with =
a (not too hot ) iron.
Nah!  Only I'm that crazy.