Re: PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work

On 07/10/2012 8:25 PM, Jim wrote:
> On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:44:28 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ef5b0e3a-9a06-42a5-b0bd-de8ac9c067fa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > On Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:59:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work I had a service call to move a keypad >> today because the customer is removing the wall where it was previously >> mounted. After the move keys 369# (and the various special function keys) >> no longer work. Keys 124578*0 still work fine and user codes using those >> keys (fortunately they had some programmed) still arm and disarm. I >> didn't drop or abuse the keypad in anyway during the move. It seemed like >> an easy service call. Any suggestions? I did already order a replacement >> keypad. > > Had they already begun construction? Maybe dust inside? Did you > disassemble and look at the lands on the PC board? Is there a ribbon > connector that may have come loose? I don't know the configuration/layout > of the keypad but it looks possible that 3,6,9 and # are all in a v
erticle > row. That would indicate (to me, anyway) either a loose/bad connection > either on the PC board or wires in the keypad or something to do with the > processors matrix. If you have an eye loup or good magnifier, look at the > solder connections on the PC board. In removing the Keypad, you may have > flexed the PC Board and broken a component or lead solder connection. It > depends on how crazy you want to get with it but, you could touch each of > the solder connections with a (not too hot ) iron. > Nah! Only I'm that crazy. I did take it apart and give it the eyeball, but I didn't go get my reading glasses out of the truck. Never carried a loupe in the truck, but I do have a couple in the shop. Maybe its time to start.

> At times I think I could use a pair of glasses with two 20X eye loupes glued onto the lens of the glasses.
>
> I think it must be the air polution that prevents me from seeing as good as I used to.

Naw.  It's the sea air.  Too much salt in your eyes.  :-)