Re: Need to cut through the BS on Alarm monitoring costs

On Feb 8, 12:08=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This claim would require a definition of "better".
>
> > Based upon the following three items:
> > 1. Telephone company uses it, and made it super fast and easy.
>
> They mostly use a ScotchLok or similar type connector. =A0They also use
> uniform wire sizes in the applications where they use them, and they tend=
> explode when they take a high voltage spike from a nearby lightning strik=
e.
> I have re-spliced hundreds of pairs in pedestals after a particularly bad
> storm. UR, UY, and UG connectors only work on solid wire. =A0I use them o=
> underground and aerial telephone applications. =A0These are one of the ea=
siest
> connectors to use right if used for the correct application. =A0These are
> almost always grease filled to protect the connections from oxidation.
>
> > 2. The Experienced Security System Installers with years of experience
> > that I worked with insisted it was so.
>
> Security tends towards B wire connectors (commonly called beanies). =A0Wh=
ile
> with some care and attention to detail they can be used on stranded and
> solid wire, and wire of different sizes, they were really intended to be
> used for solid wire of the same size. =A0I have been using them for about
> almost as long as I have been using ScotchLoks. =A0Beanies are fairly eas=
y to
> use, but proper tapered crimping requires a specialized tool that almost
> nobody has. =A0I have one, but I am so in tune with getting beans install=
ed
> just right for both intended and non-intended use that I use the rear smo=
oth
> square jaw of my needles. =A0Two crimps. =A0One firm at the tip and one l=
ess
> firm at the opening seems to work fairly well, but I have found it to be
> difficult to teach that to people. =A0Also methods for dealing with diffe=
rent
> size wires, stranded wire, etc. =A0These can be ordered either dry or gre=
ase
> filled.
>

> > 3. My personal experience after ignoring their advice, and believe me
> > I KNOW how to solder well. Clean copper wire, twisted 5 to 7 times,
> > [actually duplicating a pressure contact - not counting on the solder
> > for connection, rather counting on the copper to copper connection
> > with solder merely 'holding' the connection together] flux soldered
> > with fresh solder and beautiful wicking, and no crystalization visible
> > usi

For what it's worth, it seems to me that I remember someone saying
here in this group that B connectors were tried by the Telephone
company but they didn't work. They, however, were not stripping and
twisting the wires. Just inserting the wires and crimp through the
insulation. I can understand why that wouldn't work reliably. I was a
mil spec trained solderer and used to solder alarm connections but
I've used B connectors for too many years to remember, with out any
problems. Convenience being the primary reason.