Re: Companys you may not want to subcontract

> On Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:10:30 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "Just Looking" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > By larger security companies not paying their subcontractors, I think
>> > it
>> > is easy to see them all in a negative light, especially if that company
>> > is
>> > the only large customer you have; you're tempted to see it as a one off
>> > event. In that light only, those companies then seem to have the moral
>> > compass of plague filled vermin, are are to be avoided.
>>
>> As a large entity where many things are compartmentalized for efficiency
>> its
>> clear that they do not have a moral compass except where dictated by law.
>> Even then its quite often offset by what they can get away with or if
>> they
>> can shift accountability to others.  How many times have you heard, "I'm
>> sorry.  I agree, but its company policy?" as an excuse for getting
>> screwed
>> from some middle management type or even from a scripted nobody.  The
>> response should always be the same to those:
>>
>> "You work there and you know it.  That makes you just as guilty as the
>> hidden evil bean counter who enacted that immoral policy.  You should
>> quit."
>>
>> Only by magnitude is it any better than committing genocide because you
>> are
>> "following orders."
>>
>> > I see it differently. I think larger companies always manage their
>> > short
>> > term cash flow issues on the backs of their smaller vendors, no matter
>> > what the industry (except some governmental entity such as
>>
>> Yeah...  and to the small contractor its effectively the same thing.
>>
>> My policy works better for me.  Do good quality work.  Be honest with my
>> customers.  Get paid well for it.  Have a progressive payment policy.
>> Refuse any work for any customer who has any amount past due.  Do not
>> subcontract for somebody you don't know personally, and then stick to
>> your
>> payment policies firmly.  And always, always, always, tell out of town
>> companies that if they can't support their clients in my home town
>> directly
>> then they shouldn't do business here.  I am sure as hell not going to fix
>> their problems for them and take my attention away from the customers who
>> have supported me and my family for the last 18 years.  I may not get
>> rich,
>> but my bills get paid, and even if sometimes I struggle with that
>> sometimes
>> I don't ever feel slimy from what I had to do at work.
>>
>> To be honest contracting is such a sleazy unethical business, and big
>> businesses are so universally amoral that I wish I could just withdraw...
>>
>> Fortunately I do have a fair number of customers who appreciate the way I
>> do
> [...]

Actually it really doesn't.  I ran a trap line very seriously for a couple
years back around 89-91.  It was the hardest and longest (Can see to can't
see everyday) I have ever worked.  I lived out of my truck and my base camp
during the season, but it was my favorite "job" ever.  Dangerous sometimes.
Exciting always.  Challenging in more than a few ways.  Seeing my son and my
daughter born were the only time I can think of that I have felt as "alive"
since.